Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"Believe in me like I believe in you..."

The following is a music video I recently came across that I thought was really positive and hopeful. Michael Franti has
a song on popular radio right now called "Say Hey" which I also really like. But this song, called "Hey World" paints
a picture of hope. He discusses the various problems that the world is currently facing (child soldiers, disease, etc) but
that there is a level of hope that exists within him. He holds each of us, individuals and the world at large accountable to
each other for change.
Some of his other music is actually quite interesting- he seems to be a rastafarian, but the messages he sends of peace
and love transcend his lifestyle and are applicable even to Christians.
So I ask you to listen to/watch the following video with an open mind. If you don't like it, even if you do, please let me
know!



Here are the lyrics:
"Tell me why the grass was greener
a year ago.
I swear it used to grow here
but no more here.

Tell me why,
on this hill,
all the birds they used to come to fly here,
come to die here.

And tell my why I need to know.
sometimes I wish I didn't have to know
all you show me.

Hey world,
what you say?
Should I stick around for another day or two?
Don't give up on me;
I won't give up on you.
Just believe in me like I believe in...

Tell me why on the corner
all the kids that used to come to run here,
load the guns here.
And tell me why
it's okay
to kill in the name of the gods we pray.

Tell me who said it's okay
to die in the name of the lies we say.
Tell me why there's child soldiers.
Tell me why they closed the borders.
Tell me how to fight disease.
And tell me now won't you please?

The only thing I want to do
is to be in the arms of someone who believes in me
like I believe in you.
I try, try, try, try.
I try, try, try, try for you.
Don't give up on me.
and I cry, cry, cry, cry.
I cry, cry, cry, cry for you.
Just believe in me
like I believe in you."

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful video, thank you. I had to watch it twice, then posted it to facebook. This blog is shapin' up! Good job, and God bless.

    ReplyDelete