Thursday, January 28, 2010

"Instead of funding the status quo, we only invest in reform."

I am going to admit, before we go any further, that I am biased. About most things, but also about the State of the Union. So take what I’m going to say with a grain of salt. But I would like to discuss it, ever so delicately, because what Obama said is important, the issues addressed affect me and you, and because at the end of the day, and for better or worse, he is our president... at least until 2012.
For my very first State of the Union address (and Obama’s too, imagine that), I allowed myself to get caught up in the rhetoric for which Obama is known. I also thoroughly enjoyed watching the party lines not-so-subtly approve or disapprove of the words coming from the podium. But in an effort to at least partially remove my rose-colored glasses, I read the transcript this morning and realize that, all politics aside, there seems to be a bend towards the people that is rolling in. As with many bureaucratic structures, sight of the individual, the worker, the everyday American is lost in the dollar signs, in the power, in the flexing of whatever muscles any institution has. For the sake of being the government, we have seen merciless effort to save face, both for individual politicians, but also as a nation in the competing global economy, at whatever cost.
But Obama’s incorporation of individual anecdotes in his talk, as well as the policies he wishes to enact reflect a desire to bring our government back to the ideals for which it was originally created, to protect and serve its citizens.
All politics aside, perhaps this shift in focus and ideal is what actually should permeate our government. No more haughtiness. No more self-righteousness. No more pride. Obama said we are no longer accepting the status quo and it is this idea that should nationally nay, internationally, guide our thoughts and actions.
He maybe neglected to address the current state of the union and delivered what seemed like yet another inauguration speech, but the fact remains that the message is important, vital, to the dissolution of the status quo.
I will carefully step down from my very high soap box now and leave you to ponder.
God bless!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete